2016 – 2018 Actions
ORGANIZATIONAL MINYAN/CHAPTER FORMATION
- Attended the 2016 national conference of Bend the Arc in Washington, D.C. (June 2016)
- Bend the Arc SLO Organizational meetings (Janurary and June 2017)
- March against Trump, in favor of civil rights and equality during the fall of 2016
- Held anti-Trump demonstrations prior to and during the 2016 Republican National Convention (June and July 2016))
- phone banked Colorado voters to help impact the election in 2016
- Phone banking in opposition to the Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court nomination
- Hosted 3 collaboration meetings with like minded organizations county wide resulting in over 30 collaboration partners—(March, April and July 2017)
- March for Immigrant Workers/International Workers Day (May 2017)
- Participated individually and as a group during 2017 in various other community activities including: Being an Ally; Vigil for Syrian Refugees (organized by WMSLO); March for Science; RISE “Walk a Mile in her Shoes” event, Undocu/Dreamers rally (February 2018)
- Participated in 2017 Women’s March rally.
- Participated in the Summer of Love Pop Festival (August 2017),
- Participated in the SLO Pride March on (July 2017)
- Had a booth and spoke at the NAACP Take a Knee Rally 2/3/ and the SLO Pride March (July 2017)
- Submitted a letter that was read at the San Luis Obispo Unified School District Board meeting regarding a recent hate crime involving a special needs student who was perceived as gay at SLOHS (in coordination with the Tranz Alliance) (March 2018)
- Endorsed and marched in the SLO Women’s March for Our Lives anti-gun rally on (March 2018)
- Letter to the Editor, Mustang News about racism on campus (April 2018)
- Three Bend the Arc SLO members trained by the ACLU and Undoc Student Success (Cal Poly/Cuesta) to become legal observer trainers for ICE raids/actions (July 2018)
SUPPORT FOR A CLEAN DREAM ACT AND IMMIGRATION REFORM
- Phone banking,
- March in coordination with SLO Progressives and Women’s March for immigration reform
- Two legislative visits with Assemblyman Jordan Cunningham’s staff and one with Congressman Salud Carbajal
- Letter to the Editor,New Times, June 21, 2018
REFORM CALIFORNIA’S BAIL SYSTEM
- Met with Chief Deanna Cantrell about the need for bail reform., Oct. 2017.
- Had two screenings of “The Bail Trap” – one on July 23, 2017 as part of our community collaboration forum and one at Ohr Tzafon on January 10, 2018.
- Held a community forum on bail reform at Congregation Beth David on January 23, 2018.
- Letter to the Editor about Jordan Cunningham and bail issue, New Times, April 5, 2018
- Held a County Candidate’s Forum on March 8, 2018,
- Endorsed Measure M as an organization and participated in gathering other endorsements. (August 2, 2018)